Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mongolian Beef

Jack found this recipe in Cooking Light magazine one day and wanted to make it. I purchased everything for the recipe and did wonder if we ever would use things like hoisin sauce and chile paste again if nobody liked the meal. I have to say that this recipe became an instant favorite! Not only did we use the sauce and paste again, I have had to replenish them a couple of times.

Mongolian Beef

2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. dry sherry
2 tsp. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. chile paste with garlic (Go easy on this. It's spicy! Might want to try 1/2 tsp. to start)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. peanut oil (I prefer coconut oil)
1 Tbsp. minced, peeled fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain (I use stir fry strips or chunks)
16 medium green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces (I think I use one whole bunch)

1. Combine first 8 ingredients, stirring until smooth.

2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger, minced garlic, and beef. Saute for 2 min. or until beef is browned.* Add green onion pieces; saute 30 seconds. Add soy sauce mixture; cook 1 min. or until thickened; stirring constantly.

*Watch beef and cook until it's just before how you like it.

Serve over wide rice noodles and with some good, crusty bread.
Makes 4 servings. I always double it for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment