Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hawaiian Cake

This cake is sooo yummy! To think I had it in my recipe box and had only made it once in ten years! I decided to resurrect it and it will now me made much more often. Emma says this is now her favorite cake. Obviously, since we had to force her to save some for others in the family. She is usually not like that at all. Tee-hee! Must be that good, and definitely tastes even better the next day.

Hawaiian Cake

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cups cold milk
1 pkg. (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
1 envelope whipped topping mix*
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted

Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using a greased 9"x13" baking pan. Cool. In a bowl, whisk together milk and pudding mix; let stand to thicken. Stir in pineapple. Spread over cake. Prepare whipped topping mix according to package directions; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in 1 cup whipped topping. Fold in remaining topping. Spread over pudding. Sprinkle with coconut (I serve it on the side since some people don't care for coconut.) Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.

*Note that it might be easier to just buy Cool Whip, but the Whipped Topping Mix does make a difference. I thought of changing it at first and realized it was used instead of Cool Whip for a reason. I'm glad I stuck with the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment